Melissa Keith to Provide Full Card Selections All Meet exclusive to Nahupicks.com
Melissa is a bettor and handicapper, award-winning harness writer, and only female racecaller to announce a full Canadian Standardbred meet.
Follow Melissa on Twitter @TheTriactor
Wednesday 7 pm Thursday 4 pm sunday 6:30 pm
Sunday June 4, 2023
Rideau Carleton Sunday, June 4, 2023
BEST BET – (2) MIDNIGHT MOOD – R6
SPOT PLAY – (5) PROBERTS LEGACY – R5
Pick 5 (R5-9): 5,2 / 2 / 4,3,5,2/ 1,5,4/ 2,9,6 = $14.40
Early Pick 4 (R2-5): 4,2,1,5/ 4,1,2/ 3,4/ 5,2 = $9.60
Middle Pick 4 (R4-7): 3,4/ 5,2,4/ 2,5 / 4,3,5,2 = $9.60
Late Pick 4 (R6-9): 5/ 4,3,5,2/ 1,5,4/ 2,9,6 = $7.20
(5) BEDDANBURG looks ready to capitalize on recent speed-favouring conditions at Rideau Carleton; front-end-loving type with fastest-ever mile and win both on ⅝-mile tracks last July; interfered with Sunday when CHEYENNE CREEK broke stride.
(2) SHADOW DAVE has improved from inside posts; followed cover of first-up Red Cape Party Sunday; struggled to draw ahead of that 50/1 leader at three-quarters; cleared on final turn; no match for second-over winner Delco Dynamo.
(4) POWERCHICK lived up to her name in career debut; shuffled back early; flying late in field’s-co-second-fastest (28.2) last quarter Sunday, identical to BEDDANBURG.
(3) CHEYENNE CREEK broke a hopple Sunday, going offstride in her first Rideau start; broke maiden September 20 at Kawartha, beating older fillies/mares from off the pace.
(4) MACHING TIME was first off the wings here Sunday; Pascal Berube stays aboard fast-leaving pacesetter who was passed in stretch by pocket-sitting 6/5 fave
Rockinmydream; edged out up inside path by place finisher…
(2) STATE OF PLAY, who draws better than last start (post #7 in field with one scratch to his inside); first over from last on second turn Sunday, in otherwise single-file procession; flushed out RED DIRT LOVENLIFE and Rockinmydream on last turn.
(1) CANADIAN EDITION: front-end-loving former Rideau Preferred pacer makes comeback after extended absence: most recently won October 18, 2020; class relief; beat one trotter in three-horse qualifier Sunday; card’s co-fastest (28.2) last quarter.
(5) MR COURAGE adds Guy Gagnon, who last drove him May 7: loose pocket ride behind 1/9 fave Betterontheisland that race; swarmed late; overmatched here Sunday.
(4) DELCO DYNAMO was a rare winning closer here Sunday; followed cover of first-up Shadow Dave; three-wide around that rival and leader Red Cape Party at three-quarters; won by expanding margin; 1:55.4 lifetime mark; up in class; moves to front tier.
(1) MASTER FENCER was three-wide on first turn May 25; parked and retreating to seventh by opening quarter; caught inside and shuffled to last along backside; interfered with Sunday and broke hopple; returns to front tier.
(2) OTHER PEOPLES BEER makes first Rideau start for Mandy Archer; career debut was last July 17 in OSS Grassroots at Georgian Downs; broke maiden November 15 at Dover Downs; rough-gaited twice on second and last turn May 15 at Harrington.
(6) CONQUEST SEELSTER wired in third-quickest (1:56.2) of four May 21 Rideau qualifiers; going-away win over a pacer and two trotters; bullet 27.4 last quarter, fastest of 21 horses qualifying; May 25, gapped cover, losing ground late for Guy Gagnon.
(3) AMIGO MIO was a transportation scratch here Thursday; left aggressively from Rideau rail May 25; pocketed up early behind front-end winner Cheque the Magic; caught inside along backside; edged out for place by Fashion Ken; class drop; adds Guy Gagnon.
(4) VITOR closed widest and fastest (30.4) of all for place here Sunday; Never Mind N cut fractions, setting up for closers when he slowed in final quarter; front-end-loving type had three Rideau victories last year, all in line to Stephane Pouliot.
(2) JD MAGIC MOON steps up in class against older trotters; stretched out early to land single-file third on first turn May 25; emerged second-over behind first-up Stonebridge Icing on final turn; nosed her out in shadow of wire.
(1) DURAMACS tripped out behind Never Mind N Sunday, as that pacesetter reached the half in 56 flat, identical to The Light Speed in the Preferred pace (!); perfect pocket ride; new 1:56.3 lifetime mark.
(5) PROBERTS LEGACY adds Pascal Berube; raced third-over from sixth along backside Sunday; tipped four-wide for stretch drive; big late kick; returns to front tier.
(2) WESTERN PHIL used gate speed to advantage Sunday; wired going away for Guy Gagnon; up in class; front-end-loving gelding takes on several strong closers, like…
(4) COLIGNY HANOVER, who ruined his own chances when he jumped it off behind gate Thursday; quick turnaround; beaten 4/5 fave; loses Jimmy Gagnon to OFFICER JONES.
(1) TRION DE VIE took new 1:54 lifetime mark in front-end trip here April 16; hasn’t enjoyed similar trip or further wins since then; up in class; retains Stephane Brosseau.
(2) MIDNIGHT MOOD won June 12, 2022, his first of five Rideau Carleton victories last year; post/class relief here as he seeks first 2023 win; trailed throughout mile Sunday, caught inside of fourth-over Dylans Bank; field’s-fastest (28.1) closing quarter.
(5) RAYS KREDIT has closed strongly for Jason Gilchrist in last two starts here; both were at lower classifications; four-wide from back of field at three-quarters Thursday; ran out of racetrack in field’s-co-fastest 28.1 last panel, behind winner…
(4) SHADOW MARGEAUX, who is also up in class for quick-turnaround rematch; Lochaber did the heavy lifting for both from post #8 that mile.
(1) STAR DOG has been more consistent and pacing faster miles than VICIOUS ALOICIOUS, although both lack 2023 wins; completes superfecta.
(4) ASSASSINS CREED is class-dropping stablemate to DOC FANELLI; parked first over as Western Phil opened up on front end Sunday; strong closer with best chance to take down front-end-loving…
(3) SMILINGBILLYTHEKID, who debuts for Benoit Hebert following Sunday claim; the rest of this field combined cannot match “Billy’s” six 2023 victories, all at Rideau Carleton; lateral driver change from Guy Gagnon to Pascal Berube; gate speed.
(5) DOC FANELLI was also claimed Sunday and debuts for Mandy Archer; came first-over from third on second turn to challenge SMILINGBILLYTHEKID; matched strides to three-quarters; dropped back in stretch despite urging; adds Stephane Pouliot.
(2) NELSONEDDY HANOVER was parked second-over from last going to opening quarter here Sunday; renewed attack approaching second turn, flushing out DOC FANELLI; closed wide in co-field’s-quickest 28.3.
(1) IMA DUDE loves a front-end trip; Rideau rail and class relief help chances; beaten even-money fave on May 25 class drop from Preferred Handicap; boxed in fourth behind winner Getyourlicenseliam; loose late; closed in field’s-co-fastest 28 flat.
(5) DAY DELIGHT wired at lower Rideau classification, from same post, May 4; came close to repeating on Thursday’s class drop from Preferred Handicap; edged out by first-over Vanilla Malted after battle around final turn.
(4) DONT ASK LOGAN went second-over from fourth to the half here Sunday, following first-over Private Scott’s pursuit of front-end winner Make It Come True; ran out of racetrack; gaining ground late.
(7) DYLANS BANK raced fourth-over from second-last here Thursday, from same post; closed through traffic; outside post hurts, again.
(2) FRIAR VOLTAIRE backed down from three-high early battle with front-end winner Keystone Doral Sunday; settled single-file third on first turn; late move, nearly catching place-finisher THREESIXTYFOUR.
(9) MCKEE SEELSTER encountered interference Sunday when YOU GOT THIS ran out; game first-over bid from far back; top four had opened up too many lengths for him to get involved; moves to second tier.
(6) HURRIKANE CHEYENNE encountered same problem, making move from near-last on final turn; paced field’s-fastest (28.3) closing quarter; moves to front tier.
(8) THREESIXTYFOUR offered little in stretch drive despite pocket ride behind Keystone Dorlal; his broken overcheck prompted one of two recalls last race; unhelpful post.
(4) MIDNIGHT MATTY is back from Kawartha after back-to-back starts from trailing post; won her first Rideau qualifiers of 2022 and 2023; stalked pace closely in both, which she hasn’t done in subsequent pari-mutuel starts; debuts for Jamie Johnston/Jason Gilchrist.